Your visual identity is a key part of how you communicate your message to your audience. A well-crafted visual identity can help you communicate your brand’s values and personality clearly and effectively.
As trends and preferences change, it’s important for brands to adapt to stay relevant. Revamping your visual identity can also help your brand stand out from the competition by creating a unique look and style that resonates with your target audience. This can help you connect with your target audience and their preferences, values, and interests.
If you are planning to expand into new markets, change your product offerings, or update your messaging, revamping your visual identity can help signal this change to your audience and create a fresh look.
Now, let’s look into some of the steps you can take toward revamping your brand’s visual identity and the best examples of that.
Revamp Your Visual Identity in Four Steps
Revamping your brand’s visual identity can be a challenging process, but it ultimately depends on the extent of the changes you are looking to make.
Here are four basic steps you can take toward refreshing your brand’s identity:
1. Define your brand’s values and personality: Before you begin redesigning your visual identity, it’s important to have a clear understanding of your brand’s values, personality, and voice. This will help you create a visual identity that reflects your brand’s essence and speaks to your target audience.
2. Research your target audience: To ensure your new visual identity resonates with your target audience, take the time to research their preferences, values, and how they consume information. Identify their demographics, online behavior, and preferences, and look at your competitors’ visual identities to see what works and what doesn’t.
3. Redesign your logo: Your logo is the centerpiece of your brand’s visual identity, and revamping it can have a significant impact on how your business is perceived. Consider hiring a professional designer to craft a new logo that reflects your brand’s values and personality.
4. Choose a color palette: Your brand’s colors should evoke the emotions and values associated with your brand. Select a color palette that reflects your brand’s personality.
9 Best Examples of Brands’ Visual Identity Revamping
To encourage you to take up the endeavor of revamping your brand’s visual identity, we offer you some examples of successful visual identity revamps by well-known brands:
In 2014, Airbnb revamped its visual identity with a new logo and color scheme. The new identity uses a more modern, streamlined logo and a bright, bold color palette that reflects the brand’s adventurous spirit.
In 2019, Mastercard released a simplified version of its iconic interlocking circles logo, as well as a new color palette and typography. The new visual identity aims to be more flexible and work across a variety of digital and physical environments.
In 2019, Slack underwent a significant visual identity revamp, including a new logo, color palette, and typography. The new identity emphasizes flexibility and playfulness, with a focus on customization and personalization.
In 2018, Coca-Cola updated its visual identity with a new design system called “Taste the Feeling.” The new system includes a more unified visual language across all of Coca-Cola’s products, with a focus on simplicity and connection.
In 2012, Microsoft introduced a new visual identity that emphasized simplicity and modernity. The new design system includes a flat, minimalist logo, a simplified color palette.
6. Dunkin’ Donuts
In 2018, Dunkin’ Donuts announced a name and brand identity change to just “Dunkin’” – which involved a change in their iconic typography and a new color palette and layout. This visual identity change helped reflect the modernization in the brand’s products and services.
In 2018, just ahead of its IPO, Uber undertook a complete visual identity revamp. The changes included a new logo, app icon, typography, color scheme and photography guidelines. The rebranding gave the brand an overall cleaner look and simplified the visual representation of the app.
In 2018, Burberry revealed a new logo and refreshed its visual identity. The rebranding aimed to modernize the British heritage brand, with a new typeface, monogram, and color palette.
In 2018, Mailchimp overhauled its visual identity to reflect the evolution of its brand. New designs featured illustrated animals, new color palettes and a bold, sleek typography technique. These changes created a friendlier, more approachable and more creative persona for the email marketing platform.
How A Marketing Agency Can Help You with Brand Revamping
A Chicago branding agency can help you revamp your brand’s visual identity by providing expertise in design, branding, and marketing strategy.
Here are some ways a marketing agency can assist you with a visual identity revamp:
- Research and analysis: A marketing agency can conduct research on your target audience, your competition, and the market trends to help inform the new visual identity. They can analyze the data and provide insights on how to position your brand with a new look and feel.
- Brand strategy and messaging: A marketing agency can help you develop a new brand strategy and messaging that support your visual identity. This includes identifying your brand’s unique value proposition, positioning, and voice.
- Design and execution: A marketing agency can provide design expertise to help create a new logo, color palette, typography, and other design elements needed for the visual identity revamp. They can also ensure the design fits with your brand’s strategy and messaging.
- Implementation: A marketing agency can help you implement the new visual identity across all touchpoints, including your website, marketing materials, social media profiles, and advertising campaigns. They can also provide guidance on how to communicate the changes to your customers and stakeholders.
Overall, a marketing agency can bring valuable expertise and resources to a visual identity revamping.
Revamping your brand’s visual identity can be a powerful way to breathe new life into your business and better connect with your target audience.
When undertaking a visual identity revamp, it’s essential to first define your brand’s values and personality, as well as research your target audience to ensure your new look resonates with them. Utilizing the expertise of a marketing agency can also provide valuable insights and support throughout the process.
By taking inspiration from some of the best examples of visual identity revamps, such as those undertaken by Airbnb or Mastercard, you can learn how to transform your branding from boring to bold.
Whether it’s a complete overhaul or subtle modernization, a well-crafted visual identity can help your brand communicate more effectively with your audience, stand out from the competition, and inspire a fresh perspective on your brand.