Why stick to a small screen when you can watch your laptop on TV? With the right equipment, you can display video from your laptop on your TV’s larger screen. This is ideal for watching streaming services, YouTube videos, or just using your TV as a large monitor.
Here’s how to watch YouTube on TV from your laptop:
Equipment Required to Watch Laptop on TV
If neither device supports HDMI, you have the following options:
- DVI adapter and cable for video only. You’ll need an audio patch cable with a 3.5 mm end for your laptop’s headphone jack and two ends to correspond with the red and white audio inputs on your TV.
- VGA is a more common option. You’ll need the same audio cable setup to carry sound.
- S-video cable is ideal if you have a standard definition TV. Once again, you’ll need a separate audio cable.
Related Read: How to Watch Amazon Prime Video on Any Device
Configure Your Laptop
To watch a laptop on TV, you have to configure the settings from your laptop:
- Go to your Start menu, choose Control Panel, and select Display.
- Your connection may appear automatically on your TV, but the resolution may not be great. If this is the case, choose Adjust Resolution in your laptop’s Display menu. Select TV from the Display drop down box.
- If you don’t see an image at all, choose Change Display Settings from the Display menu. Click Project to a Second Screen.
Other Ways to Watch Laptop on TV
If you have a Wi-Fi connection, an HDMI port on your TV, and a compatible laptop, you can use a streaming stick, such as Google Chromecast (Windows/Android) or Apple TV (Mac/iOS). Neither are quite as reliable as HDMI, but don’t require cables between your devices.
Let us know if you find something good to watch!
For best results when streaming, make sure your PC is free from malware, junk files and hidden processes that can slow your system down.